Posted by: Racoon | 2009-06-25

GFR, creatinine and S-CO2

Dear CD

My husband hasn' t been well the last while, even though he is fit and normally healthy. He started suffering from idiopathic urticaria 2 weeks ago, and went for a general checkup after that manifested. The blood test results were normal, except for S-CO2 which was elevated (30.4 mM) and GFR which was mildly reduced (70 mM). Creatinine was 101 mM. His BP is normal to low (113/69). The only other problem he has is a pain in the testicular tube on the right, which he didn' t mention to the doc who did the checkup. I am concerned that the combination of these results might indicate the development of CVD? Should he go for further tests or are these results of no consequence?

Thanks for your opinion.

Dear Racoon
He should go for a follow up blood test of kidney function - the urticaria could be part of an autoimmune reaction. If his kidney function deteriorates I think he should be referred to a physician for further evaluation
He does not seem to have signs of heart disease though