Question
Posted by: Abdullah | 2013-02-05

Getting someone to help around the house

How can I get my brother in- law to help me and my wife with house duties?

Thanks for the very brief question, compared to some which are so very long ; but its hard to say, not knowing the circumstances.
Does your brother-in-law live with you and your wife, in YOUR home ? If so, he is a long-term guest, and should either leave and find his own pl;ace, where he can be as lazy as he wishes, or he must accept that he should pay towards the costs of the home, both in terms of cash and in sharing the chores and housework. Explain this to him, and let him choose, reminding him that just staying on as a freeloader expecting you and your wife to be his servants, cannot continue. I hope your wife agrees with you about this.
If you are in agreement, give him an ultimatum, and a week in which to move out or start helping significantly

1
Posted by: Justine | 2013-02-06

Tell him to shape up or ship out! You are not running a B& B and you expect everyone who lives in the house to assist with chores etc.

Reply to Justine