Question
Posted by: Pat | 2010/05/04

Getting rid of infections

Dear Doc

A while ago I had klebsiella pneumonia vaginalinfection which has totally cleared up. i know have an ecoli infection and am on augmentin. Why do i keep getting these inections? I am very careful with cleanliness ''down there'' etc. I want to have a baby soon - so would like to know what i can do. Any suggestions would be great. Thank you.

Hallo Pat
The most common source of E coli infections ( vaginal or in the bladder ) is from the rectum - either wiping the wrong way, or germs being transferred during intercourse, or if your partner has an infection of the bladder or prostate that gets passed on to you. Using douches may cause disturbance of the vagina's normal bacteria and make your more prone to bacterial infections. IUD's are also a risk factor. Try taking probiotics regularly and don't wash out the vagina - it is "self cleansing" and rinsing it out may cause more problems. Just wash the outside area with soap and water, ensure that you always wipe front to back and ask your partner if both of you could wash the genital area before having sex (have a nice shower or bath together!).

1
Posted by: Cyberdoc | 2010/05/04

Hallo Pat