Question
Posted by: Nicci | 2012/09/10

Getting Pregnant

I am 30 years old and my husband and I fell pregnant by accident, in November 2011. Unfortunately, when I went for a scan at 10 weeks in January 2012, there was no heartbeat. According to my gynae, I had a blighted ovum and my body hasnt picked it up - so a missed miscarriage. The embryo was at 8 weeks size. Because I hadnt had a baby before, the doctor recommended against a DNC and gave me abortive medicine and after taking this, I miscarried. My doctor saw me two weeks later and then again in May 2012 and said all looked 100% internally.
It took until May 2012 for my body to feel normal again and get back onto a regular cycle. Since then, we have been actively trying to fall pregnant. I have had cycle lengths of 30, 31, 30, 33 and the last one was 26 days which is abnormally short. My doctor has told me to come back to get Clomid if I hadnt fallen pregnant in four months - just to help speed it up. My problem is knowing when I ovulate. Especially considering the last month''s cycle which was significantly shorter.

I am on CD9 today and about to take my last Fertomid (Clomid was not available). When should I be trying to conceive? My husband ejaculates a lot less the more often he has sex. So do we keep it to every two days? Or doesnt it matter?

Thanks for your time.

N.

Dear Nicci
The best option here would be to use the home ovulation test such as clear plan or ovu plan, which is simple to use and fairly accurate, and will predict ovulation in advance by at least 40 hours. At this stage it may not be necessary to force a pregnancy and my suggestion would be to allow natural unstimulated ovulation to take place, and simply having regular intercourse every 2 to 3 days in the fertile period from day8-18would be sufficient. You should allow yourself 9 months from may 2012 before getting worried about fertility problem.
Answered by Dr M.I.Cassim

1
Posted by: Fertility Expert | 2012/09/20

Dear Nicci
Answered by Dr M.I.Cassim

Reply to Fertility Expert