Question
Posted by: :) | 2010/06/09

Getting past illness

Hi Cybershrink. What would you recommend to get past the trauma and utter scariness of recurrent illness? I have always had the philosophy of just getting up and going on again, but as I get older, it gets harder and harder. I have been chronically ill since childhood (and am quite frankly scared witless of pain by now). It will always be a reality for me ( even with specialist help).

Chronic illness ( I know this from personal experience, too ) is, by definition, a continuing reality in one's life - but need not be a scary or limiting reality. The details of course depend on the specific illness(s) but the useful approach includes :knowing the facts ( so we don't waste time fearing impossible or improbable developments, and can concentrate on coping with the inescapable components of the illness )
It's about accepting what life modifications the illness requires and which are unchangeable, changing for the better those which are changeable, and concentrating on all the areas of potential which are litle affected by the illness. And resolving not to add any life limitations to those unavoidably imposed by the illness.
A pain clinic, if you can find one, should be able to help you cope better with whatever pain is around, to limit it by various means, and to set aside whatever pain isn't relievable at present, by concentrating on other things.

1