Question
Posted by: Hospy | 2008/09/22

Getting into the state hospital system

Hi CD

I live in Parklands in Table View, Cape Town. My mother and I are fortunate enough to have basic hospital plan but she and I were both recently very ill. Long story short. We must now go the state route. What is the procedure. I need to see a Psychiatrist as I have drug interactions and am on anti-depressants. My mother needs to see a specialist for a second opinion for many things quite serious. Question:
I phoned Groote Schuur, Tygerberg and Somerset hospitals. All gave me a different story. You need a GP letter. Then you don' t. You must just go to the Jarvis road clinic in Brooklyn, then they refer you to Somerset Hospital and then to Groote Schuur. Do you or anyone out there know how we go about it? Its unlikely we will have any medical aid next year at all.

Hospy

The easiest route would be to see a GP or clinic doctor and ask them to arrange to refer you, ion your case in the Dept of Psychiatry, at UCT or Stellenbosch. I'm not sure if the Depts would accept a self-referral if you called their clinics directly, but possibly so. For your mother, similarly, if you can identify to appropriate specialist, the same would apply. Generally, though, as you found, they'd want a referral letter from a GP.
But let's see if there are some local folks from Cape Town with direct experience, who can advise you here.

1
Posted by: Kay in Gtown | 2008/09/23

I can only report the procedure at Fort England in Grahamstown. You can just pitch up at the out-patients clinic on Tuesday morning and then you can be seen.

Reply to Kay in Gtown