Question
Posted by: Liane | 2010/03/03

Getting fit fast

I recently started running 10km and 21.1km races and would like to be able to run the thing without having to walk for bits during the race. My average times at the moment are 56m for the 10k and 2hr20 for the 21.1k. I think my time will better quite considerably if I can run the whole way.

I also play netball twice a week which I think helps a little. I have at most and hour and a half to exercise but most of the time only an hour. I am currently doing spinning once a week and then interval training for cardio. I also do a lot of strength exercises like plie squats and lunges with a medicine ball seeing as I struggle with ITB.

What can I do to get fit fast with limited time?

Hi Liane

You're doing a pretty good job already, I have to say. You're doing interval training, you're doing a variety of training, you're training most days of the week. Those are all the basic things that one would look at in order to improve.

The one thing that might be lacking is the solid foundation and the long run. You don't seem to spend much time just running slowly at an easy pace (of about 6min/km for you). If you do that once or twice a week then you'll improve just from the consistency of training it provides.

One of these runs needs to be the long run - say 14km at first, where your goal is to run slowly for the whole distance. That pace might be 6:10/km, or whatever it takes to get the distance done, but those sessions are important because they'll help you overcome the problem you have of walking for bits in the race.

But the interval training is great (though i'm not sure what you do in that session) and the spinning is good. So keep those going.

Just try to get one more run in per week. If time is tight in the week, then even a 20 minute run would be useful.

1
Posted by: fitnessdoc | 2010/03/11

Hi Liane

Reply to fitnessdoc