Posted by: Boerboel Owner | 2009-05-14

Getting dogs to sleep inside kennel

With the winter apon us how do I get my dogs to sleep inside their kennels. My three dogs choose to sleep either on the veranda or out in the open at night and no where near their kennels.What sometimes hurts I can see Floyd (11month old boerboel) shivering from the cold and yet he does not go into his kennel.

Dear Boerboel owner

Make it as comfortable as possible and if they want to sleep out in the cold there is nothing you can do.

Posted by: Big Dog lover | 2009-05-16

Why don' t you put their kennels under the veranda if there is place there? The treats is a good idea + also make sure the kennels r big enough 4 them.

Reply to Big Dog lover
Posted by: steph | 2009-05-14

have you considered just getting them baskets as opposed to kennels? if you put some blankets in the baskets/beds they' ll get in them and that' ll be warm, i presume the veranda is covered and prevents them from getting wet? your dogs most likely want to be on the veranda to see whats happening on the property. or perhaps move the kennels so they have the same view as that provided by the veranda.

Reply to steph

efinitely put some cozy blankets and cushions in there and make sure there' s no draughts coming up through the floor. The treats will definitely help, else a good chew toy (eg kong). Make sure you wash out the blankets often though too.

Hi, we had to same problem with our x chow and then I started throwing treats inside the kennel. In the beginning he would just quickly retrieve the treat and eat it somewhere else, but eventually and especially with a nice big raw bone, he just lay down inside the kennel and munched on his treat. Before long, he was sleeping in the kennel as well!