Question
Posted by: Maria | 2011/08/30

Getting admitted?

Hey CS

I''ve had a rough year, among other things changeing AD''s, close friend died, mom had op that had complications...

I''m on Wellbutrin, Xanor, Remeron and Epitec. Makes me feel like a loony, all these meds.

I''m sad, and borderline depressed. My psychologist suggested yesterday that I should consider getting my psychiatrist to admit me to a clinic for a bit, just to chill and take a break from life.

I don''t know... don''t think it''s bad enough for that yet, it seems like a very radical thing to do. Although I''m not happy I''m reasonably functional. I will be inconveniencing my family, and there will be no guarantee that I will feel or function any better afterwards.

What do you think? Is removing myself from my life worth it, or is it better to work through the issues " in real life" ?

Tummy scratches for kitty.

Hello Maria,
If looniness was defined by the number of our medications, many medical patients would merit the title long before most of our pals.
I'm not sure whether its often useful to admit someone to a clinic "just to chill" etc. Apart from it potentially using up medical aid benefits one might nee more, later. It can be better, if one can manage it, to take a break for chilling purposes, either a short holiday break somewhere else, or at home catching up on chores, viewing and reading.
I'm not sure that one often manages to :"remove oneself from life" on such breaks, as that "life" is often what one unpacks first. And solutions that seem to work fine in the rarified clinic atmosphere might not always work as well when back in real life.
Maybe, like kitty, you need the equivalent of a tummy scratch, a spot of pampering ? Kitty who has now mercifully returned to normal from her operatic On heat phase, says thanks for the scratches

1

Hello Maria,