Question
Posted by: Megan | 2009/11/18

Getting a 3 year old to sleep.

I struggle to get my 3 year old son to fall asleep at night. He is in a stict routine: bath at 6, dinner at 6.30, stories at 7 and lights out at 7.30. It takes him nearly an hour to fall sleep after lights out . I tuck him in, and leave him in his room on his own to sleep, but he jumps out of bed all the time. I take him back to bed each time, trying to be clam and not to talk, and then walk away. This goes on for about an hour. He sleeps through the night (has since he was 12 weeks old) and wakes about 6am. He still has an hour and half midday nap at playschool which he can' t seem to do without. He is a bright and social little boy. How can I get him to ' switch off' ?

Expert ImageSleep Expert

It sounds like you are doing everything right - well done! It might just be that he is a normal short sleeper, and he might just need less sleep than others. The fact that he is bright suggests that he is not suffering from this.

Perhaps you can allow him to look at a picture book - on his own - in bed before he goes to sleep. Something quiet, which will not wind him up, but which does not involve him getting out of bed.

1
Posted by: Sleep expert | 2009/11/19

Reply to Sleep expert