Question
Posted by: Grace | 2011/11/24

Gestational Diabetic

i''m 30 weeks pregnant,weight 120 and on hypo-tone my glucose reading was 6.3 in the morning yesterday and before i left the hospital it read 8.1 i went home had supper slept but was awaken by the funniest feeling called the ambulance but it never showed up.i want to know should i be worried was i supposed to sleep over at the hospital,was i supposed to get medication and what is the risk number for when its high

Dear Grace
It is difficult to interpret your blood glucose readings because you don't mention if the first reading was taken in a fasting state. Non-diabetic adults have a normal fasting blood sugar reading of between 3.89 and 5.00 mmol/litre. So if you were fasting your blood sugar reading of 6.3 (presumably also in mmol/litre) was high. If you ate breakfast and it was about one hour later, then 6.3 mmol/litre is a normal reading. If you did not eat or drink anything between the first and the second reading then the second reading of 8.1 mmol/litre is also higher than normal. I don't know who did the second blood sugar reading for you, but if this was done at the hospital then the person taking the reading should have consulted a doctor. If you are still feeling strange and ill, then please go back to the hospital and ask to be seen by a doctor. Because your pregnancy is already far advanced, you may well need to be admitted and to receive treatment to ensure that your pregnancy can be completed successfully.
I do hope that you will be feeling better and that you have a successful delivery.

1

Dear Grace