Question
Posted by: bptubb@telkomsa.net | 2011/02/03

Gernam shorthaired Pointer puppy -

we have two GSP puppies and one ate very little and had a runny stomach - it was in the vet for 10 days giving him various meds and drips. he is now home very skinny - but still not eating much although his stool is better. can you suggest what we can give him to build him up and get him back to where he should be
thanks
Beryl
i mught mention that a couple of his siblings also had this problem but were cleared by another vet. giving them minced chicken and drops

Hi Beryl,

Sorry to hear about your little pups.I am assuming that a diagnosis has been made and that your puppy is on the correct medication. I would look at initially feeding him one of the Intestinal type diets eg. Hills i/d or Eukanuba Intestinal Formula etc until he is eating well and his stools are 100% normal.

Then I would put him onto one of the Large Breed Puppy Diets. I would not necessarily give him any "supplements" as the better quality foods contain them already.

3
Posted by: Chill | 2011/02/04

I''d second the Protexin suggestion.

Must say, you have real courage to take on two GSP''s - they are most, most delightful dogs, but are practically guaranteed to drive you close to insanity on a pretty regular (hourly!) basis. Good luck!

Reply to Chill
Posted by: Kate | 2011/02/04

I would put the pup onto Protexin - a probiotic for animals.
Discuss this with your vet.
Boiled Sweet potato and or butternut is also very gentle on the tummy.

Reply to Kate
Posted by: CyberVet | 2011/02/03

Hi Beryl,

Reply to CyberVet