Question
Posted by: Louise | 2011-03-31

German Shephard male pee in the house

Hi there,

Apologies for the Afrikaans. :-)

Please can you help me?
We have two German Shepherds, male and female. Male is 2 and a half, female is just over a year. We love our dogs and they sleep in the house and are also allowed in the house during the day. Lately our male is making his mark in the house. He pees every where all the time. He has done this once before just before our female went on heat. She is due to go on heat again in May only, so this is very strange. They are both trained and he does not do this at night when he wakes up. He askes to go out then. He does this during the day.

Louise

Expert ImageDog Behaviour Expert

Hi Louise, please dont apologize for your home language - it is me that is at fault! When I started school here is was not compulsory and have taught myself the basics but not good enough to answer - may have had you your dog doing some extremely strange things!

What i need to ask you, is your male sterilized? If not this could very well be contributing towards the problem and i would suggest sterilizing him as well as the female. A dogs sense of smell really is remarkable and a bitch does emit pheromones before she comes on heat, so it could be that he is picking up on that. Unless you are a really dedicated professional breeder, i really would suggest that you dont try home breeding. Apart from being very expensive due to food changes, vet etc, unless you really do know what you are doing it is just not advisable.
Until then, i would suggest having a look at the article on Toilet Training on this site
http://www.health24.com/medical/Focus_centres/777-2268-2552-2678,61400.asp
and start at the beginning again. Do please consider sterilizing both dogs as for reasons above. In addition to above it really is not fair to the dogs, especially if intact to be around a female in heat - the frustration levels raise dramatically and you can end up with some totally unnecessary behaviour problems, not to mention an unwanted litter!. En nou ek se 'totsiens'! take care, Scotty