Posted by: Ron | 2009-02-14

German Sheperd

I have a 4 year old german sheperd bitch. she is very very friendly and has been rasied in a friendly relaxed environment.

I sometimes wonder if she would attack strangers if they were to come into our yard. also would she attack if someone came in and she sensed that i or a family member was under threat.

so my question is, do you think she would have the instinct to protect us and attack? the reason i ask is that she is so friendly and has never been exposed to hostile etc. situations.

Dear Ron

As I do not know your dog at all, it is impossible for me to comment.

Posted by: WR | 2009-02-16

Be careful here 

If you are seen as the Alpha in the pack, your untrained dog will most probably look at you for protection.
They will be better alarmists or deterrents - if not trained.

Reply to WR
Posted by: cathy | 2009-02-16

I' m of the opinion that dogs protect " their"  people or pact and not things i.e. furniture etc. Our dogs throughout the years certaintly where always ready to protect " their"  people.

Reply to cathy
Posted by: Big dog lover | 2009-02-15

When I was a child we had a Bulldog. She was the friendliest dog one could imagine. When my mother had her first stroke + was bedridden for the next eight mths. after that during the day when we were at school + father was at work this dog would lie in the passage right by my mother' s bedroom door. The only other person she would allow into the house was the maid who looked after my mother during the day. Once a week the doctor used to do a visit + then the maid would have to drag the protesting Bulldog into another room + shut the door. So I think that most family dogs do have a built in sense of protection towards their folks in the house.

Reply to Big dog lover
Posted by: Chill | 2009-02-14

I' ve asked myself that question before too. There' s no way of knowing, until it' s necessary - frankly I think these dogs'  greatest value is as a deterrent.

Is your dog a good watchdog? Does she bark at strangers, and do her hackles go up if someone is at the door/gate?

Reply to Chill
Posted by: Carol | 2009-02-14

My experience with dogs , especially those raised in loving homes is that they do in fact make the best watch dogs.

My 2 boxers are very friendly and love evryone , but dont come into our yard without an invitation, and dont threaten anyone .. especially me ... just raising your voice to me is going to get them going.

Reply to Carol