Posted by: Chris | 2009-09-08

German Shepard chewing hosepipes

I have a 10 month old GSD who has gone through a number of hosepipes and PVC waterpipes by chewing them in to bits. He does this when we are not at home or at night when we are. I have 2 Spaniels with which he plays. I have also given him a go-kart tyre which he plays with and carries around. How do I stop him from chewing all the pipes?

Dear Chris

Simple Solutions make a good pet repellent. You can also try Avert or Footsack. How often do you walk and interact with your dog in the day?

but be sure not to breathe too much while spraying... Really unpleasant!!!!

Posted by: Larry | 2009-09-13

We have to put our refuse bags outside b4 we go work as the refuse truck only come around 9.30. Neighbours dogs use to rip the bags open + scatter the contents all over the pavement. Now we sprinkle cironella oil inside + outside the bags - problem solved!!

Reply to Larry
Posted by: Big Dog Lover | 2009-09-13

Citronella oil is harmless + non-toxic but dogs don' t like the smell / taste. In the old days people used to use it in a spray for bitches on heat. U spray on the tail + down the back legs twice daily. Keeps male dogs away like U won' t believe. So maybee U should try + spray the hosepipe + see what G.S.D' s reaction is. By the way it' s also harmless to the enviroment.

Reply to Big Dog Lover
Posted by: Great Dane Mom | 2009-09-09

LOL mmmm In our first year we went through 6 rose bushes, endless strelitzias (just the flowers chewed off) granadilla bush dissappeared completely, 2 hose pipes with attachments, braai wood chewed into a gazillion toothpicks, a lovely lawn converted to a " zen"  garden (just sand) and and and, Even though I spent a fortune on toys, hooves, pigs ears, gongs etc and spent lots of time playing with her and walking her. Some dogs are just super intelligent and get bored easily (thats my story and I' m sticking to it) Hang in there - things will get better with time  )

Reply to Great Dane Mom
Posted by: Chill | 2009-09-08

Count your blessings... I know someone whose pup destroyed not one but two kreepy kraulies (or however you spell them...)

Good luck also in finding something to paint onto the hosepipes that the dog won' t like. I remember my German Shepherd deciding to chew on the corner of a kitchen cabinet. She watched with great interest as I put mustard on it, before licking it off with every appearance of enjoyment. Same with hot chilli sauce.

Luckily she lost interest before long... I can' t remember what she destroyed after that, but she did eat a whole (small) plum tree too...

Reply to Chill
Posted by: steph | 2009-09-08

i know that its not the most "  practical"  answer but do you walk your dogs? while they do have the two spaniels to socialise with at their age they really need lots of stimulation and exercise. lets face it, dogs don' t take themselves out into the garden to run laps, they may play but they need focussed exercise to occupy them. just a half hour a day is great. if you' re scared to walk all of them at once, or don' t feel comfortable with it why not go throw a ball in the garden for them to chase or a stick or some other toy. teach them to enjoy other toys, then the association with them will be good. Good luck !

Reply to steph

We have 2 GSD... Here is something we did...put everything chewable concrete pot plants... We roll up the hospipe when we are done and put it away..plastic pot contaners has been replaced with concrete pot contaners...the dogs are happy and the husband is more pipes etc being chewed..they have a wooden dog kennel but we painted it with citronella oil...hence they don' t chew on that..Don' t go putting it on your hosepie it meight be toxic.....

Posted by: Angela | 2009-09-08

Put something non-toxic but really bitter on the length of the pipes (enquire with your vet what is safe to use). It may seem a bit of a hassle to have to do it a couple of times but as you know, GSD' s are highly intelligent - it won' t take him long to equate a lousy taste with hosepipes.

That same high degree of intelligence is the reason his ' think cloud'  is probably saying: " Thanks for the go-kart tyre but I' m perfectly capable of choosing my own toys." 

If all else fails, he should grow out of the habit as he matures. How many hosepipes can you afford while you wait? (joke).

Reply to Angela