Question
Posted by: Sam | 2010/09/08

German Measles exposure

Dear Doc

I have been informed by the mother of a 12 month old baby that her baby has been diagnosed with German Measles.

I was in the same room as this baby on Sunday morning, but did not have physical contact. I am 22 weeks pregnant.

I was tested for immunity 2 years ago for my first pregnancy.

Should I be concerned / inform my gynae? My next appointment is in about 3 1/2 weeks.

Are you immune or not? If not, you should inform your gynae straight away.

2

Posted by: Purple | 2010/09/09

Probably best to give your gynae a call.
The biggest risk is when you are in the first 3 months of pregnancy, as this is while baby is forming and deformaties can occur. After that baby is fully formed, so I think you might be out of the risk period (though I''m not certain).
If your immunity levels were fine two years ago, they probably will be fine now too.
Perhaps just give your gynae a call today as three and a half weeks is a long time to sit worrying.

Reply to Purple