Posted by: mom | 2012-01-25

German measles

Hi Doc,

Do you know since when the MMR vaccine / Rubella vaccine was given out at schools? I am 36 years old, and can''t remember if I received the Rubella vaccine at my Durban school, but did catch it at varsity around 21 years old, and previous blood test of 2 years ago showed immunity. If I had had the vaccine, then surely I wouldn''t have caught it when 21? Are there different strains of the virus?

Rubella vaccination is given at birth and a repeat dose is usually given at 5 years of age. Even after vaccination, it is still possible to contract Rubella. Full immunity usually occurs when a person contracts the disease, like in your case. There are not different strains of the virus.