Question
Posted by: topaz_sa | 2009/10/28

German Measles

Hi, My daughter came into contact with German Measles on the 17th.

Would it be safe to say that if she hasn' t shown a rash by Friday (this will be 13 days) that she hasn' t got the disease.

I want to go visit my sisters new born on the weekend and I just want to be safe - or should I wait another week?

Thank you for your advise in the past.

Dear Topaz-sa
The incubation time of German measles can be 2-3 weeks. If you have had a rubella vaccination before then you will not get infected and it is safe for you to visit your sister. Rubella spreads by droplets ( coughing and sneezing) so even if your daughter has been infected, you will not transmit the disease just by contact if you are immune.

2
Posted by: Tasja | 2009/10/28

They first develop a fever and sore throat for a few days and then by day 3 or 4 the rash apear!I know cause my LB has got German measles at the moment.He had a fever from last week Wednesday and a sore throat,and Saturday morning he started having small red dots all over his face and neck,sunday his whole body was covered,Monday i phoned my Doc,he condirmed.I dont even know where he got it,because he is not in a creche!Ive read up that its dangerous for pregnant women and babys under 2 mnths.Maybe google it,i think its 10 to 21 days!

Reply to Tasja
Posted by: cyberdoc | 2009/10/28

Dear Topaz-sa

Reply to cyberdoc