Posted by: Morne | 2012-04-26

Gerd/lung cancer

Hi i am a 40 year old male i have been smoking for 22 years i have been suffering from severe heartburn for the last few years, and have started taking omaprazole for the last year or so it seems to help a bit but the problem is all the pains i have been getting lately i have chest pains back pains pains in my joints and at the pitt of my stomach it is realy sore. i went to see my gp and he said it is due to GERD that i am feeling this way and prescribed more omaprazole. I want to know can GERD make you feel this crappy and do i need to have me tested for lung cancer since some of the symptoms i have is related to lung cancer. Could you please advise me? Thanx

Yes, GERD can be responsible for all your symptoms. GERD is associated with chronic inflammation and this can be related to your symptoms. I do however, suggest that you consult a gastroenterologist for a gastroscopy and barium meal, as GERD can be treated surgically. You should also consult an internal specialist for an opinion on your lungs, as well as blood tests to exclude arthritic disease.