Posted by: sick | 2013-01-15

Over the last few years I have suffered off and on with GERD due to stress. I was treated with different meds each time and the only one I remember working well was Altosec - within about 2 months it was gone and I could start eating a little bit of garlic again.

Last year I spent most of the last half of the year on anti depressants which made me eat a lot more often and also made me very nauseous and vomit. Now it doesnt seem to matter what I eat I get reflux (since about Dec 2012) and it either makes my body read all signals as hunger signals, or I feel like I have a lump of oatmeal in my throat, or I just feel very nauseous .. most times I vomit then.
I eat about 6 small/ish meals a day : lunch and dinner being slightly bigger but because I have snacked (it takes a while for my stomach to register that I have had sufficient snacks) so I still feel hungry around lunch or dinnertime - then I don''t finish my food cos I feel full nd the next mouthful makes me feel over full. Then an hour or so later I''m hungry.
Last time I had reflux I was put on 40mg Nexium. I just want to know what is more effective : Nexium or Altosec? I can''t recall the results of the nexium as I was vommitting from the anti depressants anyway.

Dear Sick
I am so sorry to hear that you are suffering so severely from GERD. I trust that you are under the care of a Gastroenterologist? If not, please ask your doctor to refer you to such a specialist, because you may have additional problems such as infection with a microorganism called Helicobacter pylori which could be exacerbating your condition. If you test positive for H. pylori, the specialist will also treat you with appropriate antibiotics. Both Nexiam and Altosec are what are called "proton pump inhibitors" with a similar action, so you should obtain relief with either one. If your GERD is due to excess acid production triggered by stress, then I would also recommend that you have psychotherapy with a clinical psychologist who can teach you how to control your stress more effectively without ruining your health.
Please get some expert medical and psychological treatment so that you can break this vicious cycle.
Holding thumbs for you

Posted by: Sick | 2013-01-16

Hi There

In sept had a gastroscopy done and tested for H Pylori and all came back normal. I started on the nexium again last night so we''ll see how that goes.

I have also had my sugar levels/insulin/thyroid checked.

Reply to Sick