Question
Posted by: Mands | 2009-04-16

GERD

Dear Dr.

I am 28 yrs old, female and have suffered with Panic Disorder for the past two years. Since having Panic Disorder I have developed severe back pain and prior to developing Panic Disorder I was diagnosed with a weak LES by a Gastronologist via a PH Monitoring system and he said that I had GERD, Gastritis and H. Pylori which he treated with antibiotics. He however advised that my LES is not that weak that I require an operation to fix it. Since having the Panic Disorder I have developed such pain in my stomach, burning pain and when I press on my stomach its very tender. I wake up in the mornings with a very bitter and sour taste in my mouth and I regurgitate quite often during the day. I have now started developing Heart Palpitations throughout the day, fortunately not when I sleep.

My question is, could the back pain and Heart Palpitations be linked to my stomach problems? Do you think it is advisable to go back to the Gastronologist? Could my Panic Disorder have created the acidity in my stomach to cause an ulcer?

Thank you very much.

Dear Mands
The back ache and palpitations could be due to a gastric ulcer, so yes, please see your gastro enterologist. Are you taking anything for the panic disorder?

1
Posted by: Mands | 2009-04-17

Hi Dr Bets,

I' m taking 40mg of Paxil per day for my Panic Disorder but still very anxious so I' m not sure if it' s really working. I know that I have to seek counselling but due to lack of funds I am unable too. Thank you for your response. I will make an appointment to see my Gasto Enterologist to have it checked out.

Kind regards,
Mands

Reply to Mands