Question
Posted by: Pieter | 2010/05/10

Genitourinary examination

Hello Doctor

I am a male, 28-years-old.

A friend of mine advised me to book an appointment with a urologist to undergo a full genitourinary examination. My friend went for one and his urologist picked up something that turned out to be cancer and my friend was able to get the necessary intervention in the nick of time.

I realised then how important it is for me to go for check-ups (my friend is also young like me).

I would like to know 1) what I would request from the urologist, and 2) what type of examinations and/or tests would the urologist do (in other words, what exactly will the urologist examine and how)?

Hallo Pieter
You don't really have to see an urologist if you have no symptoms ( discharge, blood in urine or semen, difficulty urinating etc) You can ask your GP to do a urine test to check for infection or blood, and to examine your testis for cancer (testis cancer is the most common cancer in young men). At your age you don't have to do a screening prostate examination unless you have suspicious symptoms or would feel more reassured if your doctor did it.

2
Posted by: Pieter | 2010/05/11

Thank you for your advice, Doctor. My friend had cancer in his meatus and urethra - what type of examination would I request to pick something like this up?

Reply to Pieter
Posted by: cyberdoc | 2010/05/11

Hallo Pieter

Reply to cyberdoc