Question
Posted by: Elly | 2011/05/02

Genital Herpes or Thrush?

Hi Doc,

My boyfriend of about a year told me he had genital herpes shortly after I meet him. We haven''t had sex yet, but there have been a lot of touching, etc in the past. I know with what we did there may be a chance of me getting it. Since I known him, he never had an outbreak and also permanently drinks Valtrex.

About 2 months ago, I started having this throbbing feeling on the lefthandside of my vagina. With a constant sensitive, burning feeling. I went to the dr and he had a look and said that it doesnt look like herpes because i didn''t have any visible sores.

He sent me for a blood test, which shows that I have HSV1 antibodies, which I knew, because I get coldsores on my lips. But no HSV2 antibodies.

We also did a vaginal swap and the only thing they saw was that there is a scarcity of lactobacilli in my vagina.

He said he thinks that it is a yeast infection and gave me medicine that took the symptoms away, until I had my period this month. Now it started again.

My boyfriend hasnt touch me since the last time I had these symptoms.

I would like to know doc, please

1) what are the chances of me actually having genital herpes? How can we test for sure without me having visible sores?

2) if not, what is causing this throbbing burning feeling? Could it be related to the lactobacilli shortage? I am taking a pro-biotic now.

Thanks doc

It sounds more like thrush, particularly if it starts around the time of your periods. If you do not have visible sores, then there would not be active herpes, in other words you should only have pain from herpes if you had sores.

1