Posted by: Danny | 2011-01-07

Genital Herpes

Hi Doc,

I meet a guy a few months ago and everything is going really well between us. Shortly after we meet he told me that he has genital herpes and this is really stressing me out.

We haven''t had sex yet and I know that I don''t have it, but I want to find out how serious is it, and what is my changes of getting it, if this relationship becomes more serious.
My doctor told me not to worry about it and if I get it, I should just be careful when I choose to have kids (not sure what that means) and his doctor told him that lots of couples come and talk to him about it, because a lot of people have it. He is on Valtrax and his docter said that the changes of me getting it is very low.

I am not sure if I really should worry about it. Our relationship is getting stronger and more serious by the day and I really want to make sure that I know the facts and what I am letting myself in for.

Thank you very much.

Unfortunately, there is no cure for genital herpes and the Valtrax that he is currently using, will delay the amount of outbreaks. You chances of getting genital herpes are slim, unless he has visible sores on his genitalia. At this time (when there are sores), you should abstain from sex.

Refer to the following link for detailed information: