Posted by: tracey | 2009-04-16

I have two daughters aged 10 and 12. I have been informed that they need to be tested for brc 1 and 2 as there is a strong history of breast cancer and ovarian cancer in the family, family members have been diagnosed with breast cancer and ovarian cancer as young as 35. What age should my girls be tested, i would rather know if they carry the gene sooner than later. Who would i go to have this test done and what are the costs involved. I reside in Durban.Please advise Many thanks

Hallo Tracey
It is not recommended that people younger as 18 years are tested as it can cause unnecessary anxiety if you go about it the wrong way. Only patients with a strong family history of breast or ovarian cancer (3 close family members with the disease) should undergo this test. Pre-test counselling is strongly recommended. Please contact the Genetic Clinic, Inkosi Albert Luthuli Central Hospital, tel: 031 240 1000
They will also be able to give you the cost.