Posted by: Jennifer | 2010-02-18

Please can you assist me with an answer? Is suicidal tendencies genetic? My husband' s dad and uncle committed my husband at risk of being suicidal.
Thanking you in advance.

Expert ImageTeen Suicide guest experts

Dear Jennifer,
Depression does have a genetic component and if there is a family history, your husband may have a predisposition to depression. A family history of suicide can mean that if someone is depressed they may see suicide as an option because other family members have done it - and they may see it as something not to be considered because they know the consequences and pain it leaves behind. My advice would be that if you are worried about your husband, or just to get some more information, contact SADAG on 011 262 6396. The counsellors will be able to give you more information and guidance.