Question
Posted by: Depro | 2009-04-02

Generic Medication

I have been using Cipramil for about 6 months and have recently moved to a new medical aid. They only cover generic medication and I want to know if I can switch to Cilift.

Sorry, folks, for the delay in responding. I've spent an anxious day in the dark, as Tshwane City Council can't keep the lights on, and this is my third power-cut this year.
Switch to Cilift, and there should be no problem at all --- it contains exactly the same active chemical, and I tend to prefer it, anyway. There's no reason to expect any difference ---a generic pill or tablet contains exactly the same medication, and are required to prove that they dissolve and get absorbed in the same way.
I hope Z's drain is feeling much better now

3
Posted by: Z | 2009-04-02

I flushed mine down the drain as I don' t need phycotic drug side effects.

Reply to Z
Posted by: Hope* | 2009-04-02

I use the generic when I cant get it. It helps when you' re paying through the teeth for meds.

Reply to Hope*
Posted by: Liza | 2009-04-02

If you need to use Cipramil for whatever reason and your doctor advises you that you shouldn' t us a generic, the medical aid sometimes pay for the original. Your doctor will however need to send them a motivational letter. Mostly there shouldn' t really be a reason why you cannot switch to the generic. I' ve heard of generics causing more side-effects than the original (not specifically Cilift, but other psych meds). That would be where the motivation from your doctor would come in. Medical aids do not advertise the fact that they might cover some things if they receive a motivation.

Kind Regards
Liza

Reply to Liza