Question
Posted by: Brenda | 2008/08/21

Generic Blood pressure pills=effective?

My pharmacist changed my medication firstly from Coversyl Plus to Prexum, and now again to something else by Aspen strenght 4 mg. (Pills at home sorry!) I suffer from what was mentioned as " resistant high blood pressure"  and take Carlock 25 as well as Phelodopine Hexhall. I feel that my blood pressure is up- black spots, short of breath etc since on the new medication. Could there be another problem, or is it possible that the generic mediaction is not as effective?

Expert ImagePharmacist

As long as the substitute is an exact generic - the same ingredients and strength - your pharmacist is allowed to change it, unless instructed by the prescriber not to do so. Unfortunately, with a small fraction of generics you do get the odd rotten apple.

Have you BP tested and swith back to th eoriginal if needed.