Question
Posted by: Derek | 2011/03/17

generic

can you combine a generic and brand name antidepressant at the same time for a short duration of time (2 weeks), the reason being the smaller dose only comes in the generic form and it is wiser to increase a dosage slowly to minimize side effects.I have heard conflicting reports and it seems pharmicists cannot agree with each other when it comes to generic vs brand effectiveness. my doc says different binding agents in generics can influence bioavailability and elimination of the drug though the active ingredient is identical.

Expert ImagePharmacist

Hi derek,

Your definition is pretty much spot-on. Sometimes even the binding agents are identical, but tablet-hardness may differ due to to a different manufacturing setting.

Back to the original question: I'm, sure its fine to combine the original and generic if there is no other option.

1
Posted by: pharmacist | 2011/03/23

Hi derek,

Reply to pharmacist