Question
Posted by: milo | 2009/12/21

Generational Rejection

I am trying to make sense of something about my family. When i was very small rejection was used by my father as a means to discipline me, so if i was naughty he would put me in the car with my sister and drive around for like an hour - so we wouldnt know where we were going - and then tell us to get out in some field somewhere and that he was basically abandoning us. Eventually he stopped doing it but it had an effect on me and my sister.

Now the thing is i learnt last year from my cousin that my grandparents did the same thing to my uncle to disicpline him, they would drive around and threaten to abadon him etc. So thats two generations and possibly three subjected to this form of abuse, which kind of freaks me out completely. What i remember from being constantly threatned with rejection and having the sceanario played out is that i disassociated from myself due to the trauma and still disassociate now at certain times.

Of course i know if i mention generational witchcraft and DID or MPD you would dismiss it completely, but its harder to dismiss when a person has lived this stuff.

So what do you suggest? CBT?

What you are descibing is definitely child abuse, and an awful way to try to discipline children - and as you've noticed, it continues to spread the damage across generations.
I have no doubt at all that experiencing such awful parental / family behaviour would be highly unpleasant and potentially damaging, and that dissociation is one of several ways a child might try to cope with it.
Now, what you describe has nothing to do with witchcraft, and "generational witchcraft" is not a recognized problem. Indeed, complex FBI investigations of such claims found no evidence that it ever actually occurred. What you describe is quite nasty enough to deserve respect and help.
I have written at length in textbooks about MPD/DID, and I think there is no longer any doubt that the whole epidemic of this "disorder" included an enormous amount of quackery and foolishness on the part of many therapists and "therapists" who did great harm to many people under the pretense of helping them.
Treated realistically, and CBT would be a useful place to start, in my experience the symptoms usually ascribed to MPD/DID tend to fade and people tend to get btter ; in the hands of a credulous MPD/DID specialist, such people invariably get worse, and their symptoms get more complex and unpleasant over years of "therapy". And interestingly, in the USA, when they eventually run out of funds and their "specialist" therapist stops treating them, they usuaolly get bettert

1