Question
Posted by: Dayle | 2010/11/08

Generalized Anxiety Disorder

I''ve been a really worrisome, stressed out &  always negative person ever since i was a little girl. Always full of fears &  phobias and looking at the negative outcomes to every situation. I get nervous, anxious &  feel sick to my stomach when I''m either looking forward to something (butterflies in my tummy) and when I''m dreading a situation.
My mind just won''t switch off long enough for me to fall asleep at night which means I end up with hardly any sleep &  I feel drained &  exhausted during the day at work &  I cannot function properly. I am a sufferer of migraines &  because of the lack of sleep, I end up with one in the mornings. I''m irritable because of this &  I get annoyed when someone tells me to relax because I really don''t know how to!
I worry over the stupidest things, and because they''re stupid things to worry over, I become sad &  emotional, and I end up worrying about it even more. I''m a VERY sensitive person &  I worry about what other people say, think &  feel about me. If someone says something wrong to me, I end up in tears and it will bug me for a long time.
The smallest things bother me &  I just don''t know how to just shrug it off.
I''m very jumpy (I am THE easiest person to scare or give a fright to) &  uneasy every day and I don''t know why. I then stress over the fact that I get frights too easily.
I''m just too emotional &  I hate dealing with problems that come my way.
Please could someone give me some advice or a decent, inexpensive therapist / counselor / shrink that I could go to in Johannesburg?

Liza's answer is excellent. Some of us have an anxiety-prone personality, though any of us might develop an anxiety disorder. It sounds as though CBT counseling could be especially useful in your situation, considering your great talent for finding and nurturing the negative possibilities in life, and your high degree of sensitivity. You can learn to change these unhelpful habits of thought and response.
Obviously you don't want to spend more than necessary to get the right sort of expert help - but do think of the cost in cash and suffering of being so anxious and scared and feeling so bad, so much of the time, and of the advantages of getting over that.

3
Posted by: Aha | 2010/11/10

a Specialist physician once told me i suffered from anxiety. Gave me 2 treatments. One was pastoral and gave me this passage:
Galatians 5:22-23 (New International Version)

22 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, forbearance, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, 23 gentleness and self-control. Against such things there is no law.

See the PEACE in there? Opposite of anxiety. Fix your relationship with God. The Holy Spirit''s voice will become loud in your ears and you will experience all his gifts once again(1 st time?)

Reply to Aha

Posted by: Liza | 2010/11/08

You will need to call the depression and anxiety group helpline to find an inexpensive psychiatrist. You could also try the psychiatric departments of your local universities.

GAD is a condition that responds very well to medication and CBT-style counseling. The counseling doesn''t take away the anxiety, but it does teach you how to handle the anxiety better. As for meds - there are various anti-depressants that help reduce anxiety levels without the common side-effects experienced with tranquillizers. It is however best to see a specialist psychiatrist to prescribe the meds.

Good Luck
Liza

Reply to Liza