Question
Posted by: lee | 2009-06-07

General Well-Being

About 2 months ago I had terrible flu (I am starting at this point because I am not sure if it is relevant or not) and cannot seem to shake a dry ' hacking'  cough, postnasal drip and blocked nose. I am terribly lethargic (started having Vitamin B injections once a week to ' pep'  me up, but I must admit they do not seem to have any effect). I have also started, to my horror, to snore, which I have never done before. I have just recovered from a strange vomiting bug, which has left me feeling worse. I also, of late, suffer from sore, itching, runny eyes and my appetite has increased phenomenally and I am packing on weight at an extreme rate (I did a dose of de-worming, thinking this might be the cause, but alas the hunger &  consumption continues). Generally, I do not feel well and know my body well enough to know something is not right. I am an active person (do kickboxing twice a week, my own housework  run my own business, so the lethargy is really out of character). It would be great if I could pinpoint what it is exactly that is wrong with me, without sounding like a hypochondriac. I am 37 years old.

Dear Lee
You may have a low grade chronic sinusitis and the post nasal drip may be causing irritatation in the airways, causing the cough. You may need to take another course of antibiotics to clear this up.
The sore itchy runny eyes can be due to allergy plus secondary infection. Check your thyroid hormone levels, and fasting blood glucose and insulin as these may be causes of weight gain and constant hunger. Ask your doctor to do a full blood count as well to exclude anemia /iron deficiency.