Posted by: Pink | 2009-01-09

Gender selection advice / microsort

Hi Dr,

PLEASE could you assist me. I have beautiful boys, but I really, really long for a little baby girl. I live in CT and would really like to know if there is a fertility centre or specialist who I could consult regarding help with this - is there a way of separating the sperm in order to choose a girl. How accurate is this and/or are there other ways of going about the preferred gender.How much will all this cost? I have also heard of Microsort - what is this, is it a possible way of gender selection and do dr' s practice this in SA. Also, does all this timed intercourse, woman' s ph level etc is it accurate? Please will you share your advice with me. Thank you.

Dear Pink

The use of sperm facturation i.e. to separate male from female bearing sperm is extremely unreliable and I would not recommend this as a first line procedure. Other folk law suggestions such as change in position, acidity of the vagina etc are extremely unreliable and have not been scientifically tested and therefore cannot be recommended. The only method, which approaches 100%, is the use of embryo testing through PGD (pre-genetic diagnosis), which is not available, at most centres in the country. At our institution pre-genetic diagnosis is done for the testing of genetic abnormalities and costs are formidable in the region of approximately R20 000 over and above the normal IVF fee, which will put the total cost to close to R40 000.

Answered by: Dr. M. I. Cassim