Question
Posted by: Tazz | 2012/03/07

Gender selection

Is it possible to choose the sex of my baby? Where do I go? I live in JHB. Costs???

Dear Tazz

It is indeed possible to do gender selection in advance of a pregnancy provided you are willing to do in-vitro fertilization and have the embryos tested individually through a process called Pre-implantation genetic diagnosis (PGD). There are several ethical issues regarding this process and the majority of the fertility clinics in South Africa will not offer you this testing purely for gender selection. However under certain extreme conditions it would be feasible to do gender selection (such as inherited disorders affecting a certain gender) in which case you could approach BioART Fertility Centre. The cost depends on the number of embryos that would be tested but on average it would be in the region of R45 000 inclusive of the in-vitro fertilization process.

Answered by: Dr M.I. Cassim

1
Posted by: Fertility expert | 2012/03/20

Dear Tazz

Answered by: Dr M.I. Cassim

Reply to Fertility expert