Posted by: AL | 2009-06-23

Gem Squash

does the yellow gem squash have any nutritional value i.e. what vit or min does it contain? i have heard it has none and is just a waste of time. my fam loves it, when we trying to cut out bad carbs gem squaSH always fill our gap so i hope it is good for us since we have them weekly for supper.

Dear Al
Gem squash does not have a high nutritive value as it has just a high moisture content. The dark yellow gems probably contain more beta-carotene than the pale ones. I would, however, not classify gem squash as a 'bad' carb. Carbs to avoid are those that are smothered in fat like pies, chips, cakes, tarts, etc. You can also substitute butternut or pumpkin or sweet potatoes for the gem squash, as these vegies have a higher nutritive content. They are rich sources of beta-carotene and sweet potatoes hare high in fibre.

Posted by: S. Berry | 2014-01-17

Gem squash very good for you. They are high in anti-oxidants and Vitamin A. Also very delicious and easy to prepare.

Reply to S. Berry

I think gem squashes are very healthy, and high in nutritional content!!

Posted by: toni | 2014-01-06

Gem squash is surprisingly low in calories, but they are known to be an excellent source of Vitamin A. They contain high levels of the pro-Vitamin A carotenes that the body converts to Vitamin A. Vitamin A helps in stimulating new cell growth, keeps the cells healthy and improves vision. It also helps to maintain the integrity of skin and mucus membranes. Moderate amounts of Vitamin C are also present. Vitamin C helps the body build immunity and protects it against various infections. Fiber is also supplied in useful amounts. 1/2 squash contains 332 mg of potassium and 2.81gr of protein!

Reply to toni