Question
Posted by: Andrew | 2012/08/16

Geez!

I react very badly to abruptness, rudeness, snappy short ''moody'' reactions, and even mildlly raised vocal retorts from people. It affects my work as well as relationships.
Others, it doesn''t bother them, they experience it and move on, i struggle to! :(
Because of this i''m on the brink of ending a friendship. I grew up with tremendous abuse(verbal, emotional). I suppose its linked to this. What you think Doctor? I seem way to sensitive, and i hate it about myself! Thanks.

Counseling, psychotherapy, could help with this sort of problem, especially CBT which is good at understanding and changing bad habits of thought, reaction, and behaviour. Maybe its in part a reaction to earlier experiences of abuse, but that's no reason to continue with responses that are actually of no use to you in situations which would better be ignored or handled differently. If you don't like this aspect of how you often behave, you can change it

3

Posted by: Andrew | 2012/08/17

Thanks C for replying. This really helps. Take care also

Reply to Andrew
Posted by: me too | 2012/08/17

Hi Andrew,

Don''t worry, you aren''t alone when it comes to this.

My boyfriend is a very abrupt, short tempered person, and can be extremely hurtful at times. I get told to grow and to stop being so sensitive. This is who I am, and I can guarantee that if he were spoken to the way he speaks to me, I would be out the door.

It doesn''t matter who it is, everyone should be spoken to with respect. You shouldn''t hate yourself for being human. Anyone would respond negatively to rudeness, etc.

Take Care
C

Reply to me too