Question
Posted by: Amped | 2011/03/18

Gd start..now what?

I am a 31yr old male with a BMI of 29 and a waist:hip ratio of 1. To cut a long story short, I have started eating healthier &  have made an effort to exercise daily (albeit) at home.

I am mainly doing cardio on an elliptical trainer, couple with ab exercises and a few weight routines thrown in for good measure.

I have lost 2kgs &  2cms in my first week but now what? Do I keep everything as is or do I turn up the heat on my workouts?

Dear Amped
You are certainly on the right track if you have lost 2 kg in your first week of eating more sensibly and doing daily exercise. Never feel that you must go to a gym - home exercise which can also include skipping, swimming, cycling and brisk walking or jogging are all excellent cardio exercises that you can do without having to pay a fortune to attend a gym. It is important to pace yourself with exercise. Do not immediately increase how intensively and long you exercise, but do this gradually taking note of how your body reacts. Also stay on each incremental level for a day or so, before you add more exercises or increase your speed, etc. Rome was not built in a day, and it takes time to lose weight, but gradual sustained weightloss is ideal because you will be less likely to regain what you lose. If you find that your weightloss slows down, you can also reduce your fat intake which will automatically reduce your energy intake and lead to weightloss.
Keep up the good work

1

Dear Amped
Keep up the good work