Question
Posted by: Playgirl | 2010/01/29

Gay couple baptising adopted baby

I can' t believe how some churches work today!! my nephew phoned me from PE and said that there is no church in PE willing to baptise their adopted baby. THis is a couple that saved a beautiful boy from being killed by his mother wanting to go for an abortion, and this couple pleaded her to have the child and give it to them. I mean really, its about the child being given to God to be blessed, not about being gay!

Found a church in Cape Town, and they will be coming down soon to baptised the church. Thank goodness!

Imagine this one: my friend (straight) wanted to baptise their son, and the pastor said, sorry I am not gonna do it, I haven' t seen you in church for years. Cheezzzzz!!

I am appalled to hear about this. The pompous, self-righteous, and frankly irreligious church people. Surely what matters is not snubbing ot arguing with the parents ( and if they are the legal caregivers to the child, it is not the right of any churchman to refuse to acept the law of the country - but what matters is the well-being of the child. If the church believes that a child needs to be baptized, and that it will indeed suffer if not baptized, what decent reason have they for denying that to the child, because the clergyman has some political quarrel with the parents ?
With a pastor like that, no woder your friends hadn't been in HIS church for years. And shame on PE

10
Posted by: Eugene | 2010/02/01

Yet another stunning example of how the church is controlling peoples lives. Viola!

Reply to Eugene
Posted by: Maria | 2010/02/01

Angel at least I' m honest about what I believe and don' t believe. I have little respect for people who insist that they must get married in church and have their kids baptised in church but they are not active in their religion otherwise. What is the point? Who are they fooling?

Reply to Maria
Posted by: qwerty | 2010/02/01

Baptism has nothing to do with the child choosing anything. It' s about the parents accepting God' s promises for the child and making a committment that they will raise the child within the church and will teach the child Christian principles. Baptism is the " sign"  of your faith - later, when you choose God, that' s the relationship part of your faith.
Much in the same way as a wedding ring is a sign of your marriage, but you still need to have a relationship with a spouse.

Baptism, just for the novelty of it, doesn' t mean anything if you don' t intend on keeping the promises you make in front of God and the church.

Reply to qwerty
Posted by: Carly | 2010/01/31

I agree with Maria. Nowhere in the bible does it state you have to baptise your child to thank God. In fact, an adult who choses to be baptised does so because he/ she is making a dedication to God to love Him with all his/ her mind, body and soul. And a BABY cannot make that choice so baptising a baby has nothing to do with thanking God or anything.

Reply to Carly
Posted by: Angel | 2010/01/30

Maria - I wonder were you think your child came from? To baptism your child is also to thank God for him/her. I can' t believe there is people like you out there!

Reply to Angel
Posted by: BMJ | 2010/01/30

Well said Maria.

Reply to BMJ
Posted by: Maria | 2010/01/29

What point is there in baptising a child if you are not a believer? Or even if you are a Christian but you don' t attend a church? Is your god going to love the child more and care for him better than a child that wasn' t baptised? It honestly makes no sense to me. My daughter is not baptised and there is no way that I would stand up in a church and make the promises that go with a baptism while knowing that I don' t intend to keep them.

Reply to Maria
Posted by: B | 2010/01/29

What really surprises me is that if so called church people and pastors dont practice what they preach they are called a bunch of hypocrates if they do practice what they preach - they get the reaction above. Baptism does NOT save anybody. We are saved by grace through faith in Jesus Christ.

You go pastor for not compromising!!!

Reply to B
Posted by: Sam | 2010/01/29

I agree with the " pompous"  and " self-righteous"  comments! God is supposed to be loving and forgiving, TO ALL. The pastor probably meant that your friend hasn' t contributed money in a few years.

Reply to Sam