Question
Posted by: Louise | 2008/09/15

Gave Up Smoking

hi - I gave up 3 weeks ago and I am battling with a post nasel drip, what is the best way to get rid of this?

Dear Louise
This is a common side effect when you stop smoking. Smoke paralyse the cilia ( small hairlike structures on the cells of the lining of the nose and airways). When you stop smoking, the cilia starts working and starts cleaning out your nose, sinuses and airways. Often people feel like they have a flu or cold for the first few weeks. You can rinse your nose with saline ( make it by mixing 1/2 teaspoon salt with 1 cup lukewarm water) sniff it up and blow out or put in an empty nose spray bottle and use as a nosespray. It will gradually improve and is actually a good sign.

1
Posted by: anxious | 2008/09/15

Congratulations! This is really the best thing you can do - belive me! Please persevere - it REALLY is worth it - your health is better off iwthout it! Ask your pharmacist for a good nasal spray or antihistamine and get a script if you need one.

Reply to anxious