Question
Posted by: Concerned | 2012-08-24

Gastroscopy re post 854

I have to go for a gastroscopy next month. Doctor suspects helicobactor pylori - I believe you can do a blood test. But she says I have to go for g/scope not blood test. Could there possibly be something more serious she wants to check for but doesnt want me to panic unnecessarily?

A gastroscopy can be used to take a biopsy of the internal lining of the stomach, to determine if you have H. Pylori infection. The biopsy is also very useful to detect stomach cancer. It might also be that she thinks that you may have an ulcer, if not H. Pylori, so all possible causes for your symptoms can be investigated with the gastroscopy.