Question
Posted by: Sindi Foglar | 2010/08/04

Gastroscopy

Hi everyone.

I am booked for a Gastroscopy next week and I just wanted to know if anyone has had this procedure done before and what your experiences were. I am quite nervous and have heard some pretty horrific stories.

I hope to hear from you soon!!

Thanx.

S

Hallo Sindi
I have had one myself - it is not pleasant but definitely not painful. They spray your throat with anaesthetic spray (if they don't give you a light general anaesthetic - in which case you won't even feel anything!), then ask you to swallow the tube ( about as thick as your pinky finger) and then pushes the tube down, while blowing some air into your stomach. It helps to breathe through your mouth all the time as then you don't feel like gagging. It is over in a few minutes and really not that bad. I think it sounds worse than it is!

2
Posted by: Sindi | 2010/08/04

Thank you very much for your reply Dr Bets. I will remember the tip about breathing through my mouth.

Keep well!

Reply to Sindi
Posted by: Cyberdoc | 2010/08/04

Hallo Sindi