Question
Posted by: Dee-Dee | 2009-03-31

Gastro-Oesophageal Reflux Disease (GORD)

Good day!

My child of 15yrs has been diagnosed with a uncomplicated hernia and GORD. He is at present on medication for GORD but what I would like to know is what foods must he stay away from? He is not over weight but tall and thin.

Would it be things like tomatoes, tomato source etc. If there is some kind of list to guide me then that will help me greatly.

Thanking you in advance,
Dee-Dee

Dear Dee-Dee
I am sorry to hear that you son has GORD at such a young age. Click on 'Diet' at the top of this page to access the 'Diet section of the Health24 site' and then on 'DietDoc's articles' and read article 195 on 'GASTRO-OESOPHAGEAL REFLUX DISEASE (GORD) & DIET'. In general here are some pointers regarding excess acid production: Heartburn, acid reflux and also stomach ulcers, are caused by excess acid production in the stomach and if the patient has food in the stomach this give the acid something it can work on instead of attacking the stomach lining. In fact, the use of 6 smaller meals a day is a good idea when suffering from heartburn or ulcers because this would mean that the patient practically always has some food in his stomach to prevent acid erosion. He should split up his main meals into 2 smaller meals each. One of the most important factors in excess acid production and heartburn is stress. If your son suffers from heartburn, you will have to experiment with the foods he eats that may cause problems (raw onions, garlic, cucumber, green peppers, very spicy foods and condiments, gas-cold drinks, very fatty foods, etc and all alcohol (which I doubt is applicable in his case!). This is often an individual reaction and he will have to keep a food diary to see what foods cause this problem and then cut them out. If he finds that this is too difficult, then please consult a clinical dietitian (visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: www.adsa.org.za and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area), who will help him pinpoint trigger foods and work out a diet that avoids them. To relieve stress I would recommend that your son should learn relaxing techniques, how to do deep breathing exercises and some form of physical exercise which is also relaxing, such as yoga. Going for brisk walks in the fresh air also helps to relieve tension.