Question
Posted by: Bob | 2008/06/03

Gastrites

Doctor, how do I have my acid content tested as I am not sure wheter I have too much acid or too little, and get gastrites on and off over time. I also have a hiates hernea and sometimes get heartburn, but taking medication for this already. I had a gastroscopy last week and gastrites was diagnosed, but the doctor did not say what causes it and the medication does not seem to help as yet. Someone indicated I might have too little acid and I would like to have it tested so I can get the correct medication.
Please help and thank you

Dear Bob
You don't have to have your acid tested. Your body has an intricate system to manage the acid/base balance in your blood via the kidneys, lungs and other chemical processes. You may be making too much stomach acid due to stress ( stimulates the vagus nerve to increase stomach acid) or other factors, but this should be managable by medication called PPI's ( Nexiam, Pantoloc etc are examples)