Question
Posted by: pixie | 2011/02/08

Gastrigel

I suffer from acid reflux and have been taking altosec (omniprezol) - I have just started my second repeat of the prescription (1 a day).
off and on I suffer from nausea and diarreha. I sometimes feel a burning in my stomach, have chest pains etc. I can also feel the acid moving in my throat sometimes with a sweetish taste. Sometimes I also feel like food is stuck in my throat.
I have headaches sometimes too.
I also often feel constantly hungry and as I suffer from low blood sugar if I don''t eat - I feel like I am constantly eating too.

I saw Gastrigel at the pharmacy today - would this help or cure my problem? The Altosec does not appear to be making much difference. The doctor suggested a scope as the next option. I don''t really want to have surgery.

Please advise asap.
Thank You

Expert ImagePharmacist

Hi P

The symptoms you're describing sounds as if your Altosec is not as effective as PPI treatment can be - Your doc may have to alter the dose or prescribe another product such as Nexiam.
I'm hesitant in punting the Gastrigel - you may find Ulsanic more helpfull at this stage and I'd suggest adding that to your treatment.

2
Posted by: pixie | 2011/02/09

Thanks! :-)
I did see the doc yesterday and he prescribed Nexiam and then if no results then he wants to do a scope. So holding thumbs..

Reply to pixie
Posted by: pharmacist | 2011/02/09

Hi P

Reply to pharmacist