Question
Posted by: Zelda | 2012/05/22

Gastric reflex/ vocal chord remedies

Hi.

What food should I eat to avoid gastric reflex?

Do you have any vocal chord remedies for singing?

Regards,
zelda

Dear Zelda
I trust that the doctor who diagnosed your gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD) is treating you with so-called proton pump inhibitors (Zantac, or Losec, etc). If not, you need to return to the dr and ask him/her to prescribe the necessary medication. Heartburn, acid reflux or GERD and also stomach ulcers, are caused by excess acid production in the stomach and if the patient has food in the stomach this give the acid something it can work on instead of attacking the stomach lining. In fact, the use of 6 smaller meals a day is a good idea when suffering from GERD because this would mean that the patient practically always has some food in her stomach to prevent acid erosion. You should try to split up your main meals into 2 smaller meals each. If you suffer from GERD, you will have to experiment with the foods you eat that may cause problems (raw onions, garlic, cucumber, green peppers, very spicy foods and condiments, gas-cold drinks, very fatty foods, etc and all alcohol). This is often an individual reaction and you will have to keep a food diary to see what foods cause this problem and then cut them out. If you find that this is too difficult, then please consult a clinical dietitian (visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: www.adsa.org.za and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area), who will help you to pinpoint trigger foods and work out a diet that avoids them. One of the most important factors in excess acid production and GERD is stress. To relieve stress I would recommend that you should learn relaxing techniques and how to do deep breathing exercises.
Although I am devoted to singing, particularly opera singing, I have not heard of any sure-fire remedies for the vocal cords. I suspect that stress also influences the vocal cords, so the relaxing techniques, relaxing exercises such as yoga and deep breathing (which you probably know about), should all help.

1

Dear Zelda