Question
Posted by: Belinda | 2012/01/27

Gastric Bypass Surgery

Dear Doc,
I am a 41 yr old female weigh 112kg and 1.65m tall, I have tried every diet under the sun, I loose weight just to gain it back with extra, I am at the point where I am so depressed, I snap at my family for no reason, I don''t leave the house at all have no friends and have totaly secluded myself, I do not have a medical aid and I am unemployed, I had a hip replacement and I''m in constant pain, my back, neck ,Knees and feet hurt all the time, My mom had her first stroke at age 42, passed away from heart attack at age 45, please is there someway I will be able to go for the surgery and pay it off or is there a centre that does this type of surgery pro bono, please I am desperate I have no self esteem I spend my day crying worried about my children what will happen to them if I die. Please can somebody help me.

Dear Belinda
I hear what you say and feel for you. If you are unemployed with no medical aid, then I would recommend that you phone your nearest teaching hospital (for example Pretoria Academic or Groote Schuur in Cape Town, etc) and find out if patients like you with a BMI of 41,2, can be considered for gastric bypass surgery and what steps need to be taken for such surgery to take place. You can also phone the Call Centre of the Netcare Bariatric Centres of Excellence on 0861-623-7489 or visit their Website at www.netcare.co.za for contact details to find out if any of their doctors do pro bono work or not.

1

Dear Belinda