Question
Posted by: Charmaine | 2012/01/22

Gastric bypass surgery

My husband is 30 years old and currently weighing in 148kg''s. He has struggled with his weight since I met him 10 years ago. He suffers with high blood sugar, high blood pressure, bad skin in the sensitive areas, depression, anxiety, low self esteem and LOW body image! He despratley wants to improve his quality of life for our daughter so that he can be more physically active with her and for his health. We lead a ''good'' lifestyle with healthy eating, we don''t drink and we are busy kicking the smoking habit, my husbands biggest problems is portion sizes (in my opinion). What is the protocall surrounding gastric bypass surgery and who would be eligable for this proceedure? Do the medical aids cover these procedures? What could be expected post surgery? And what can be done about the excess skin after the surgery and weight loss?

Dear Charmaine
I am sorry to hear that your dear hubby has such problems with his weight. The consequences you list are well known and can be alleviated if the patient starts losing weight. In December last year, I wrote an article on 'Intragastric balloons and weight loss', which you can access at: www.health24.com/dietnfood/Weight_Centre/15-51-2992,72005.asp
When you are in the Weight Centre you will find other articles describing procedures such as the more invasive gastric bypass, etc. I would advise you and your hubby to contact the Call Centre of the Netcare Bariatric Centres of Excellence on 0861-623-7489 or jana@pharmacallcc.com or visit their Website at www.netcare.co.za to discuss this option, the potential costs and any associated problems. You will have to phone your individual medical aid to find out of they cover bariatric surgery. If your hubby does have bariatric surgery and develops excess skin, then the surgeon performing the intervention will counsel your hubby regarding options such as plastic surgery to remove this skin.
Holding thumbs that your hubby can start losing weight so that he can improve the quality of life of all the members of the family.

2
Posted by: Charmaine | 2012/01/30

Good day,

Thank you kindly for your response. I shall do some research as suggested.

Kind regards,
Charmaine

Reply to Charmaine

Dear Charmaine