Question
Posted by: Alexia | 2010/11/26

Q.

Gastric Bypass - Discovery Medical Aid

Do you have any information about Discovery reimbursement for a Gastric Bypass? I do know that this is still classified as elective surgery, but there have been a few instances where Discovery have reimbursed. I would just like to know what the chances are of them paying. My BMI is 44 and I am a single parent and have too be around for my kid to grow up. I would really battle to afford the surgery on my own (single parent with no child support) and was wondering whether it is a viable route to follow?

Expert's Reply

A.

Expert ImageEating Disorders Expert

Hi Alexia,
From this year (2010), Discovery has actually provided cover for bariatric surgery. To my knowledge they covber 70% of the cost, making you responsible for the balance. You will likely need to see a multidisciplinary team and be thoroughly assessed and motivated for on a number of medical and psych fronts. I suggest that you give our programme coordinator at Chrysalis Clinic a call as she will be able to offer you some free advice on your medical aid cover and answer any other questions you have. You are not obliged to use Chrysalis, but it is one of a very few Centres of Excellence, meaning that it fulfills certain criteria and high standards of treatment. Gill Gibson can be contacted on (021) 674 3309 or 083 448 7115. You can also go to the website on chrysalisclinic.co.za. Good luck.
Regards,
Graham

1
user comments

C.

Posted by: Eating Disorders and Obesity Expert | 2010/11/30

Hi Alexia,
Regards,
Graham

Reply to Eating Disorders and Obesity Expert

Want to comment?