Question
Posted by: Bev | 2010/09/27

Gastric bypass

Hi Doc, my weight has fluctuated since I was in my teens. It''s now at highest of 88kgs, i''m 1.63m tall. I''m desperate to loose approx 20kgs and have tried multitudes of diets, blood / hormonal tests etc. Please can you tell me who to make contact with in the Durban / Amanzimtoti area re the gastric bypass procedure. Many thanks! Bev

Expert ImageEating Disorders Expert

Hi Bev,
First, you must understand that to qualify for bariatric (weight loss) surgery anywhere in South Africa (or, indeed, the world), you have to be Morbidly Obese, which is defined by having a Body Mass Index in excess of 40. The only exception is Obese sufferers with a Body Mass Index in excess of 35, provided there are serious medical complications associated with weight like hypertension (high blood pressure), hyperlipidemia (very raised cholestrol), Type 2 diabetes, or other serious life-threatening medical complications associated with weight. With your weight of 88 kilograms and being 1.63 metres tall, your Body Mass Index is 33.1, which places you within the lower Obese range, but not high enough to qualify for surgery at this point. You might be realistic about being capable of losing 20 kilograms, but I suggest that you do so by working with a registered dietician and possibly seeing a biokineticist in Durban. Do me a favour and drop me a reminder email on graalex@iafrica.com and I will give you some names in Durban. This would be a good place to start. Should you weight continue to increase and you have medical complications, you will soon medically qualify for bariatric surgery. Then we can talk. However, should you seek surgery through a Centre of Excellence, you will need to qualify along a number of domains (dietetically, psychiatric, etc). I will elaborate if you get there.
Regards,
Graham

3
Posted by: Alexia | 2010/11/26

Does anyone have any information about Discovery reimbursement for a Gastric Bypass? I do know that this is still classified as elective surgery, but there have been a few instances where Discovery have reimbursed. I would just like to know what the chances are of them paying. My BMI is 44 and I am a single parent. I would really battle to afford the surgery on my own and was wondering whether it is a viable route to follow?

Reply to Alexia
Posted by: Bev | 2010/09/28

Thank you for all that information. I will drop you an e-mail with regards to dietician / biokineticist contact details.
Thank you again for your time!
Bev

Reply to Bev
Posted by: Eating Disorders and Obesity Expert | 2010/09/27

Hi Bev,
Regards,
Graham

Reply to Eating Disorders and Obesity Expert