Question
Posted by: MM | 2008/09/11

Gastric bypass

hi i would like to find out if anyone has done a gastric bypass operation? what the pro' s and cons are and if someone could give me an idea of what the cost of this kind of operation is and posibly refer any good doctors in the Easter Cape/ Western Cape region. Thanks!

Dear MM
I hope that one of the Readers who has had a gastric bypass or other bariatric surgery will give you some information on her/his experiences. Contact Jana Derksen at the Call Centre for the Netcare Bariatric Centres of Excellence on 0861-623-7489 or contact her at: jana@pharmacallcc.com or call her on her cell phone at: 072-373-0155 or visit their Website at www.netcare.co.za Jana will advise you of your nearest centre where you can have such an op, the approximate costs and some of the pros and cons.

1
Posted by: dayzee | 2008/12/02

About twelve years ago I had (very sucessful!!) gastric bypass surgery - the duodenal switch type. A year ago I was hospitalised with severe enteritis which resulted in renal and liver failure.

In hospital I was told that I would never be able to consume alcohol again and should follow a strict sugar-, fat- and fibre-free diet. In fact, the diet should be bland and easy to digest, e.g. boiled mince, mash and squash.

In addition, I have discovered that I now suffer from lactose intolerance (increased diarhee, extreme rectal burning) and am unable to digest certain foods that I cold easily eat before, like spinach, lettuce and tomatoes.

My entire body seems to have changed as well. I suffer extreme discomfort when I lay down (flatulence, diarhee) and find that I spend most of the night running to the loo. It is almost as if my metabolism refuses to slow down at night?

In desperation I would like to find out if you can suggest a specific diet as I have exhausted parmaceutical options and tend to starve myself in order to avoid the unpleasant systems.

PLEASE help me as I am unemployed can cannot consult a dietician or specialist.

Reply to dayzee